Yoga has been Ivy’s life since 1996 in China. She began teaching yoga in 2000 in China and has been teaching in Canada since she immigrated in 2006.
Ivy’s journey with Yoga began with her own suffering and search.
As a runner in university Ivy has won medals in university provincial competition. But the physical strength and glory didn't bring true happiness in the life. Instead, Ivy’s knee was always an issue whenever weather changed or energy was low. The pain would come and go; Ivy accepted it as part of her body and her life, at that time.
In 1996 at the first Yoga Class in China, Ivy felt the magic of Yoga at once. She knew that was exactly what she needed. She knew that was exactly what she needed. She was introduced to Yoga by Mr. Tan Run-Hua (譚潤華), who had over 70 years experience with Yoga. Master Tan gave Ivy a grounded understanding of Yoga: Yoga is more than stretch and strength; more than having a relaxed body and calm mind, it’s a life attitude. Yoga will help to connect with the power inside. Through in-class and daily life practice, Yoga gives balance to body, mind and spirit.
After years of practice she gradually was able to hear the sound from the heart which lead her to meet her husband - Stewart, who has become Ivy's spiritual / life partner and chanting teacher. Ivy and Stewart started work together towards the goal of Yoga: to create a healthy and joyful life.
In April 2011, Ivy’s knee pain was so serious that she felt pain every time she taught Yoga. Sometimes she had to hold on to the handrail when she walked the stairs. It was scary to think that Ivy could not teach Yoga anymore because of the pain. As a Yoga instructor and Yoga practitioner for over 15 years, Ivy was wondering why the Yoga practice that is suppose to bring health does not work on her?
In October 2011, Ivy found Susi Hately Aldous, a registered kinesiologist and Yoga teacher, and fell in love the magic of pure Yoga movement at once. She knew that is exactly what she needed. Susi Hately showed Ivy to let go and to enjoy Yoga in a simple way. In less than half year, with the help of pure Yoga movement, Ivy’s lower back pain was gone, and her knee was much more improved.
Because of Susi Hately's teaching, Ivy has shifted her teaching to a more scientific way of practicing Yoga, through awareness of body movement to recognize the pulse of mind and emotion and progressively advance towards the path of attaining a wholesome and holistic life.
Ivy's (Ying) education /certifications:
- Anatomy, Kinesiology & Biomechanics training with Functional Synergy Susi Hately, 2012
- Workshops with Denis Pednault on Functional Bio-mechanics, 2012
- 200 Hour Hatha Yoga Teacher Training Certification from Pranashanti Yoga Centre, Ottawa, 2011, led by Guy Tardif, who is Kripalu trained
- Older Adult certification from YMCA-YWCA Fitness Education Centre, Ottawa, 2011, led by Sarah. Leslie
- Insight Yoga Workshop with Sarah Powers at Santosha Yoga Centre, Ottawa
- Kundalini Yoga Radiant Child Yoga Program Certificate from Rama Lotus Yoga Centre, Ottawa, 2008, led by Tania Frechette
- Sound Yoga practice guided by Stewart, 2004. Stewart has studied with Russill Paul, the author of Yoga of Sound
- Training Certificate with Katrin Nostadt and Ravi Ganesh, Patanjali Yoga Academy, Guangzhou, China which is associated with Swami Sivananda’s teachings in India, 2002
- Started Yoga teaching, 2000
- Post-graduate studies in Geography, Guangzhou Zhongshan University (中山大学), China, 1998
- Started Yoga practice together with her twin sister on Yoga, guided by Yoga Acharya Tan Run-Hua, 1996
- BA in Geography, Guangzhou Normal College (广州师范学院/ 广州大学), China, 1993
- Acupuncture certification, Training Centre of Guangzhou Medical College, China, 1992